AlertsEventsFavorite LinksLocal NewsLocal Weather

Emergency Services MainOffice of Emergency ManagementFire DepartmentFire PreventionSearch & RescueFire Prevention

Home and Hearth Safety

  • Fireplaces - Have your chimney inspected by a professional prior to the start of every heating season and cleaned if necessary. Creosote, a chemical substance that forms when wood burns, builds up in chimneys and can cause a chimney fire if not removed through cleaning. Always protect your home and your family by using a sturdy fireplace screen when burning fires. Remember to burn only wood - never burn paper or pine boughs, which can float out the chimney and ignite your roof or a neighboring home. Do not use flammable liquids in a fireplace. If you are purchasing a factory-built fireplace, select one listed by a testing laboratory, and have it installed according to local codes. If you decorate your fireplace with Christmas stockings or other seasonal decorations, don't burn fires in it.
     
  • Wood Stoves - Be sure your wood stove bears the mark of an independent testing laboratory and meets local fire codes. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations for proper installation, use and maintenance. Chimney connections and chimney flues should be inspected at the beginning of each heating season and cleaned when necessary. Follow the same safety rules for wood stoves as you would for space heaters. Burn only wood, and be sure the wood stove is placed on an approved stove board to protect the floor from heat and hot coals. 

          You Must Obtain a permit to install a woodstove or fireplace, from the Township of West Milford Building Department.

 

 

 

 

 

As the winter season approaches and you "turn on the heat" the Fire Marshal would like to remind you that according to the NFPA's (National Fire Prevention Association)

latest report on U.S. home heating fire patterns, heating equipment fires are the third leading causes of fire deaths in American homes and the biggest fire culprit, December through January. An estimated 59,700 home heating fires occurred in 1999, killing 406 people and injuring 1,350. The experts at NFPA say that most U.S. home fires caused by heating equipment could be prevented by taking simple safety precautions.

Home heating fire problems in America are largely those of human error, particularly with the misuse of portable heaters, fireplaces and woodstoves. Critical elements of home heating safety have to do with correct installation, maintenance, fueling and operation of portable and space heaters, as well as safely arranging household items around them. According to NFPA's report, the major causes of U.S. home heating fires are:

  • lack of regular cleaning of chimneys in fireplaces and woodstoves;
  • placing things that can burn too close to space and portable heaters;
  • flaws in design, installation or use;
  • fueling errors involving liquid- or gas-fueled heaters; and
  • leaving portable or space heaters unattended.

****

Portable LP Gas (Propane) Heaters with self-contained fuel supplies (cabinet heaters) are prohibited for home use by NFPA fire safety standards.

 

 Last updated: Saturday, December 13, 2003 12:27 AM

  • Portable and Other Space Heaters - Portable and space heaters can be either electric-powered or fueled by gas, liquid fuel (usually kerosene), or solid fuel (usually wood). All types must be kept at least 36 inches (1 meter) from anything that can burn, including furniture, bedding, clothing, pets and people. Space heaters must not be left operating when you are not in the room or when you go to sleep. Children and pets should be supervised at all times when space heaters are in use. Ensure everyone is aware of the high fire hazard associated with drying clothing or placing combustibles over heaters. If you have an electric space heater, check each season for fraying or splitting wires or overheating. Have all problems repaired by a professional before operating the space heater.
     
  • Portable Kerosene Heaters - If you have a liquid-fueled space heater, use only the fuel recommended by the manufacturer. Never use gasoline or any other substitute fuel, because the wrong fuel could burn hotter than the equipment's design limits and cause a serious fire. When refueling, always turn off the heater and let it cool down completely before adding fuel. Wipe up any spills promptly. Kerosene heaters are illegal to use in the Township of West Milford as a primary heat source.  Store the kerosene away from heat or open flame in a container approved by the local fire department, and be sure it is clearly marked with the fuel name.
     
 
 

Township of West Milford OEM

 

To send email to Emergency Services please click here:  fireoffice@westmilford.org

Mailing Address:  1480 Union Valley Road West Milford NJ 07480

Site location:  13 Edgar Drive West Milford NJ 07480